I hope this BLOG is a blessing to you! Have a great day! Tim

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Knowledge is essential, but not sufficient...

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet...

Have you ever listened to someone who talked just to make you feel small? They used confusing words, and they let you know that they were educated, very educated.  Don't get me wrong, I believe education is important. But I also believe that people often misuse the education that they have in order to make themselves feel superior to others. The Bible is very clear - watch how you treat other people. Are you using your gifting for others instead of for yourself? I want you to think - Why did God gift you with the gifts that you have?  John MacArthur said many years ago "Knowledge is essential, but it's not sufficient."In other words - it is good to understand and learn, but that in itself is not enough.
Look at it this way, I'm Canadian so I'll use hockey as an example, but it will work with any sport...What if you were a hockey player and every shift you scored a goal....but on your own net. Yes you scored, but you are hurting your team! The same way it is with your walk with Christ. You can know the Bible, have scripture memorized, know what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable...but if you don't show love to your fellow human beings....you have missed it.
The Apostal Paul wrote it like this: 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:2 NLT

I heard Francis Chan speak on this today and it hit me hard. I am beginning to realize in my own life that for too long, I've had the head knowledge but I am failing in the love application. The Lord is working on me in this area. It's a journey. And I'm learning :)

If you want to see the entire sermon, I've enclosed the link
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/conference-messages/think-hard-stay-humble-the-life-of-the-mind-and-the-peril-of-pride

No comments:

Post a Comment