I hope this BLOG is a blessing to you! Have a great day! Tim

Friday, January 21, 2011

Snowsquall - Sunshine - all in a hour

An interesting way to start the day – woke up, snowing out side...then I looked again, I was REALLY snowing outside. I'm not complaining, I like snow and it is January, but this stuff was really coming down. I figure that the school buses would be cancelled – and they were. So I take a look on the radar (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO)    and yep, we were under a large squall. Now for anyone who doesn't live beside a great lake, let me explain a squall to you. Picture this – you are looking outside, the sun is shining and then – within minutes – you cannot see your neighbours house across the street because of the snow. I kid you not. We actually got about 15 cm's (6 inches) of snow in one hour. Add to that strong North winds and the drifts are a couple of feet. Then a half hour later, blue sky. So my daughter still wanted to go to school, so I started up the truck and a way we went. Not a very nice drive. None of the town streets were plowed, but it was snowing hard and it came down really fast. I would not dare venturing out of town on a morning like this. At least in town, the houses block some of the wind so the snow doesn't blow like it does out in the country. And I figure why would I risk my life and the life of the emergency workers that would have to come rescue me? My rule - If it's storming, I'm staying home until it clears up.
After dropping my daughter off I spent a ½ hour blowing out my driveway and I figure by noon I'll have to fire it up again. By then the snow plow would have gone by, filling the end of my driveway with a 2 foot high bank of snow.
The joys of living in Ontario !

No comments:

Post a Comment